Random Observation/Comment #636: Be present. There’s no time like now to listen and enjoy the little things.
In 2019, I fell in love with the monotony of living a simple life.
- Traveled to: Philly, Utah, San Francisco, Toronto, Twice to Colorado, Minnesota, London for SIBOs, Virginia, London for Cordacon, Boston, Rhode Island
- Triumphantly: Finished a 30 day challenge drawing Evie, Made 3 personal presentations (Wanessvie Future, House Requirements, Seelemons 2.0), Skiied back country off of a 10,000 ft ridge in Utah, Drove along route 1 in SF, presented about blockchain to a state government and a few conferences, hung out with some marmots on a side of a mountain in Colorado, Saw the Mississippi River, picked apples and pumpkins with Evie
- Read/Listened to: Blink by Malcom Gladwell, Oh Crap! Potty Training by Jamie Glowacki, No Bad Kids by Janet Lansbury, Where Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
- Saw: Nets/Bucks game with AYTTO, GOT Finale, Redrocks Ampitheater, myself on a the Netflix Fyre Festival documentary , Nutcracker Rouge
- Completed: Interoperability series between Corda and Ethereum, 1-year retro with ConsenSys, Remote Working Tips, Productivity Tips, Seelemons.com 2.0 migration, life in lists of 30 medium presence, D&D Campaign (mostly)
- Completed/Caught Up to Podcasts: Life in the Fast Chain, This Podcast Has Fleas, The End of the World with Josh Clark, The Teacher’s Lounge, Get Rich Nick, Factually, Science Rules, Hello from the Magic Tavern, Welcome to Night Vale, Sporkful, Planet Money, Every Little Thing, Nobody Listens to Paula Poundstone, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, Go Fact Yourself, Hey Riddle Riddle, Ask me Another, Dr GameShow, Invisibilia, By the Book, Hidden Brain, Threedom, In the Dark, Ear Hustle, Masters of Scale, How I Built This, The Adventure Zone (Great Finale)
- Daily Podcasts (around 1.5 hours of solid learning): Short Wave by NPR, The Indicator from Planet Money, Brain Stuff, Wall Street Breakfast, Market Foolery, Pivot, Science VS, Radiolab, The Way I Heard It
2019 has been the year of embracing remote working and meshian ways. Through the process, I’ve learned to self moderate and self advocate for building towards a common vision. I’ve never felt so empowered to help people with a specialized skill set. It’s liberating, but I realize more and more that my choice of where to direct my attention is the most important thing I can decide.
That being said, I choose to be present. The toddler years I was looking forward to have been extremely rewarding and fun. I love teaching Evie new words and seeing her figure out puzzles. It will likely be a 30-year challenge.
In 2020, I’m preparing for:
- A new decade – 2010s will not be that nostalgic. There’s a list for that. It might be my age or the age we live in, but I feel I’m just being manipulated by media and external standards. I think I’ve grown comfortable in my own shoes.
- Recession – Things are on the brink of craziness. This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Even if it doesn’t happen, people will say the craziest things so that if it does happen then they can get on talk shows. This might be one of those predictions and mediums.
- Challenges – I’ve started putting together a 40 under 40 list. One of them will be completing 30 30-day challenges. I’ve done around 5, so completing 25 of them means I need around 4 challenges a year with some padding for slippage. A 30 day challenge every 3 months seems very doable, so let’s start with starting that in 2020.
- Planning – I’ve realized that things don’t get done unless you spend time doing some planning. I have a lot more things I want to do in NYC, so I’ll be booking tickets and spending more time planning ahead in the coming months.
(Previous Years’ Reflections: https://seelemons.com/just-life/reflecting-on/ )
~See Lemons Prepare for 2020