Random Observation/Comment #662: I miss building things with my hands.
Why this Challenge?
I’m on my phone way too much. It’s impacting personal health and sleep, so I need something else more calming. I still do sudoku, crosswords, and jigsaw puzzles, but those still require problem solving. Every origami artwork happens one fold at a time.
How to do this Challenge?
Set a time in the day to fold some origami. Maybe it could be a part of your night time routine? If possible, print the instructions so there’s minimal screen time. If possible, buy the book – give the authors some credit for providing beautiful instructional art. I did all my research on which pieces I want to fold, so now I just need to do it.
How to get Started?
- Buy some origami paper (fewer sheets at higher quality, is suggested if you want to be ambitious on the difficult ones)
- Search for some instructions (online or buy the book) – My resources below (surprisingly a high number of videos out there)
- Designate time for folding
- Just do it
How Did you Choose Your Models?
I wanted something that covered multiple bases and honestly just looked cool. I sided more towards making animals within a reasonable amount of time. There are a few dragons in there.
If you don’t want to use the designs I’ve chosen, feel free to search for your own with some of the resources I used:
- Origami instructions website (good for easy) – http://www.origami-instructions.com/ –> Definitely keep in mind the base folds
- Origami art US (good for difficult and full book PDFs) – https://origami-art.us/books-origami
- Origami master database – https://www.giladorigami.com/origami-database/Squirrel%20Oriol%20Esteve – All things pointed to this
Simple Models (< 10 minutes)
- Butterfly for Alice – instructions
- Baby Shark – instructions
- Seahorse – instructions
- Frog – instructions
- Inflatable Chick – instructions
- Kusudama Flower – instructions
- Lotus blossom – instructions
- Twisty rose – instructions
- Simple dragon – instructions
- Dolphin by Jun Maekawa – instructions
Medium Models (hopefully < 30 min)
Lionel Albertino full book is available for download here. Suggest you buy the book!
- Gorilla by Lionel Albertino (pg 16 of book above)
- Sitting dog by Lionel Albertino (pg 23)
- Dog with paw up by Lionel Albertino (pg 26)
- Cat by Lionel Albertino (pg 29)
- Cricket by Lionel Albertino (pg 34)
- Horse by Lionel Albertino (pg 50)
- Elephant by Lionel Albertino (pg 53)
- Crane Origami – instructions
- Western dragon – instructions
- Baby Dragon – instructions
Difficult (+50 steps or just has some very small folds)
Satoshi Kamiya full book is available for download here. Suggest you buy the book!
- Dragon – instructions
- Mantis – instructions
- Rabbit by Hideo Komatsu – instructions
- Carnotaurus from Satoshi Kamiya (pg 10 of book above)
- Splash Swan from Satoshi Kamiya (pg 23)
- Flying swan by Lionel Albertino (pg 31 of book)
- Scorpion by Lionel Albertino (pg 42)
- Bear cub by Lionel Albertino (pg 64)
- Beetle by Lionel Albertino (Pg 76)
- Dragonfly by JLang – instructions
~See Lemons Love Origami