Random Observation/Comment #732: Collect those badges like you collect fake internet points!
POAP for Enterprise Events
Let’s say you’re working at a large enterprise innovation group and you want to sprinkle some fun blockchain exploration into your event. What can you do?
With the latest NFT boom attracting consumers to think about creative artwork auctions and NFT patterns (see 30 NFT Patterns and Projects), an NFT interactive event is a great way to get people involved. As the most basic interaction, we recommend using POAP (Proof of Attendance Protocol) badges collected via QR codes scanned by MetaMask Mobile. From there, you can extend with a POAP raffle.
Happy Path Summary / Checklist
- Create an event on POAP’s backend – https://app.poap.xyz/admin/events – use a unique badge image (PNG file, 500×500 under 200kB)
- Distribute unique links – After looking at all the options, creating a poap.website with a QRcode is easiest
- Keep track of event attendance through the gallery view for your event – https://poap.gallery/
- Communicate with your attendees with material on how to install MetaMask Mobile and scan the QR code + copy public address to claim the POAP NFT badge
- Ask attendees to view their claimed rewards through poap scan or the mobile app by searching for their public address – https://app.poap.xyz/scan/
- Create a poap.fun raffle that uses your event badge as a pre-req for joining
- Present 30 minutes about Latest NFT trends and how-to for this event
- Run the raffle and let it pick a random winner!
What’s different in an Enterprise Environment?
Always collect your requirements by talking to your Compliance team and making sure you add disclaimers when you explain the process. Some questions you should ask:
- What takeaways do you want the attendees to have from this event engagement with NFT badges?
- Who will be attending the event and their level of comfort with NFTs and getting tools like MetaMask? – expect a low comfort with this
- Enterprise Restrictions
- Can attendees download browser extensions like MetaMask? – usually no
- Can attendees install MetaMask and POAP on their mobile phones? – yes, but with personal accounts
- Can attendees receive emails on mobile and open links? – yes to receive emails, but cannot open links from email app
- Can attendees access discord? How do we communicate? – usually no. message by email for troubleshooting or create a troubleshooting guide.
- Is it okay that the badge and the collectors are viewable by all parties? – yes, but with caveats telling attendees to use new temp accounts
- Are there any policies around sending tokens to attendees? Note that POAPs do not have a secondary market value. – yes, but we can create some exceptions with the right disclaimers
- Who will design the POAP Digital NFT Badge? – usually a media team, which needs 2-3 days of lead time
Design a POAP Badge
The best way to see what POAP badges look like is by exploring the POAP gallery – these will be cropped to a circle in a 500×500 <200kB PNG or APNG file
You can also scan some active collectors like – https://app.poap.xyz/scan/0x531295bf1e4de3b8c03f0c3a2f969250be80f47a
Create an Event
Shortcut access – https://app.poap.xyz/admin/events/new
Create New Event Fields:
- Name of the POAP – Clear unique name for the event
- Description – What is the POAP about?
- Virtual Event (check) / City & Country (optional)
- Start Date / End Date / Expiry – Minted date timespan – Claim codes will not work past Expiry Date
- Website – Use a link that will reference your specific unique event instead of a recurring one
- Template – This is for the redeem link hosting site. It can be customized by logos and colors.
- POAP’s Artwork – PNG that must be 500x500px and less than 200kb – this will be a circular cutout
- Edit Code – Once Saved, you will need this code to update the Event.
- Email – Confirmation and list of all generated unique NFT redeem links
- Number of Codes – Generates redeem links (Leave to 0 if you’re using poap.website)
Once your event is created, you will receive an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with a message like this:
Keep the email and make sure you don’t share the Edit code. This code will allow people to edit your event!
If you did set “Number of Codes”, you will receive a separate email from “email@example.com” with a separate .TXT file with unique distribute links. This might take a few hours.
Distribute Codes with POAP.website
A poap.website can be created for every event – https://app.poap.xyz/admin/websites – Use the edit code you received to update and unlock. You can create a timespan for hosting of this website.
Full instructions from the POAP community manager is here: https://tomso11.medium.com/how-to-set-up-a-poap-website-511ef979ea19
- Website name: website URL (no spaces, ASCII friendly characters)
- Start Date: Date and time the website will be available
- End Date: Date and time the website will expire
- Timezone: select timezone
- Requested Codes: Creates number of redeemable POAP badge codes
- Active Website [checkbox]: Creates a standing website
- Captcha Activated [checkbox]: Requires user to complete CAPTCHA to prevent bots from claiming
You can generate a QR code with a human verification and share this on your event website or print it onto wristbands for people to claim in live events.
You will receive an email confirmation from “firstname.lastname@example.org” that looks like this:
It might take a few hours for all the codes to be generated, so be patient.
Test it out yourself!
Download your MetaMask Mobile app through Google or Apple Stores. If you already have a wallet, I highly recommend you create a separate account (just so you don’t dox your addresses).
Scan the QR code (with your MetaMask Mobile scan feature or directly with your phone camera) and answer the “confirm you’re human” test.
Copy your public address from your MetaMask Mobile app – LONG PRESS to the 0x… number under the account name
Sometimes it’s annoying to navigate from mobile, but remember to use the Hamburger button to move between “Browser” and “Wallet” pages.
Once you’ve gone through the scanning process, then you’ll be redirected. As it’s minting, you can see the Transaction being processed:
Blockscout is the explorer for the xDAI network where the POAP app is deployed. Note the ERC-721 token minted to my address. Yay!
You can now view your gallery and see who has collected – https://poap.gallery/event/7360
Creating a Raffle
Shortcut link here: https://poap.fun/raffle/new
A full writeup of how to do this is also here:
Create New Raffle fields:
- Raffle Name – Clear unique name for the raffle
- POAP Selection – Multi-select POAP badges from events to be checked in order to participate in the raffle
- Weighted Chance – Participants with multiple POAP badges gets one ticket per POAP
- Raffle Date / Raffle Time – Start of the raffle day and time (in UTC -6) – Shown as a registration deadline.
- Raffle Description – Describe the raffle. Information for the event.
- Prizes – Write levels of winnings and any number of prizes
- Contact – Enter email so winners can get in touch
- Email Required for Participants – Users submit an email to register. Collected by the creator.
For flexibility, send your rewards through email instructions rather than directly executing smart contract transfers
Once the Raffle event is created, anyone will be able to join until the Raffle time has been decided. The event organizer can update the event and set the time of the event.
The raffle selection process is fully randomized across the attendees.
Since the Raffle is hosted via a single page, you can also create a QR code for this by using a free QR code creator. This is the one I created: https://poap.fun/raffle/530
If your wallet is connected and you own your List of 30 badge, then you can join the raffle! I haven’t actually set a start time for it yet, so it’s just a shell. Anyone can join though!
Describing POAP to Attendees
Some disclaimers you should make:
- Yes, the creation process of a MetaMask account requires writing down your secret backup phrases. Please take this seriously as there’s no “forgot password” flow for your accounts by email. Your keys. Your crypto.
- POAP Badges do not have a secondary market – they’re not made to be valuable for trading
- It’s recommended to create separate accounts even if you are a familiar MetaMask user
What often clicks with people in thinking about NFTs is the Metaverse example. Since people are signing on with their MetaMask wallet, you can inherit all of your Web3-owned assets like accessories or NFTs you’ve purchased on separate platforms. This is true interoperability and portability across multiple platforms. In Decentraland, you can buy land and digital goods to showcase your NFTs. ConsenSys has an awesome headquarters built by Voxel Architects:
I love using POAP as an experiment because it also provides a way to re-engage with the same users. You can create new raffles off of these old badges and contact all the attendees. I also like thinking about these POAP badges and tokens as Permission tokens. It’s not as good as DIDs, but it does enough to help people understand how MetaMask and Web3 can be used as a different authentication and sign-on identity method.
Check out the other POAP projects:
- poap.art – collaboration per pixel – you can even replay the canvases – https://sandbox.poap.art/week-37-2021
- poap used to create a private discord on Collab Land – https://collab-land.gitbook.io/collab-land/bots/discord/token-permissioned-roles
- poap.vote – snapshot integration – https://docs.snapshot.org/plugins/poap
Have fun POAP-ing!
~See Lemons Love POAP Badges